Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sawadee Ka!

Day 4 and still going strong. We've done lots of cool things so far. We are still at our hotel and won't go to our host families until around Tuesday. Thailand is not exactly what I was expecting. I don't know what I was imagining, but I always feel surprised. We have manly been in the city. We hang out at this huge and confusing mall called Central a lot. It is so interesting to see how much American influence is everywhere. All the music you hear in the store is 99% pop american music. Most of the advertisements for department stores are from the west. We went to the movie, Iron Man last night and I almost forgot I was in Thailand, but then the national anthem jugged my memory. (Before every movie in Thailand, everyone stands and a tribute to the King is played). Despite the western influence there are strong traditional roots here. Yesterday, Alyse and I hired a driver to take us to a few Wats or Buddhist temples. They are absolutely gorgeous and I really respect the reverence and devotion the people have for their religion.


Yesterday was great because some more people from our group arrived and joined us. It was great to see some familiar faces. Although we couldn't really blend in as much, as we were a white herd of people running around.


We went to a restaurant and were really confused by the crock pots on each table, but started ordering food anyway. The waitress didn't seem to understand us and kept waiting...so we kept ordering more food...later that night we found out that we were suppose to order food to put into a crock pot and make soup for ourselves. ahh, whod a thought?


Also, I have eaten a few things the last few days that I would never normally touch. Especially considering I am a germ freak. We went to this awesome place last night. The food was great, but one must ignore the flies on all the food and the raw meat left out to fully enjoy. Don't worry mom I'm still ok! Maybe we are just tooo careful in America. haha
I feel that there is so much to say...but I don't know what to say! Check out the pictures I posted as a slideshow. Ask me any questions you might have...maybe that will help my brain flow. Thanks!

1 comment:

Billy & Caitlin said...

hey, today i was at the mtc to let the korea-bound missionaries practice teaching their lessons on me, and some missionaires came out of a room and they said, "so what dee crap" and i totally knew they were going to thailand! maybe you'll see them! they look like mormon missionaires. and they're white.