Monday, May 12, 2008

forecasting good weather

Sunday started out with a bang. I opened my grocery bag of goodies and greedily reached in for a treat. Too bad a lizard had gotten there first..I screamed and threw the bag on the floor. After much excitement, Alyse and I realized we were both standing on our beds with no intention of coming down for awhile. Then we thought it good form to capture the lizard with photography, so we tempted it out of the bag. Man, those things are fast! --If this were a novel, here the author would say, "Little did Alyse and Jessica know, this would not be the last of their battles with the animal kingdom."
Church was so great. We arrived a little bit late because the staff at our hotel insisted that we have breakfast. I was surprised at how many visitors were there. Anyone who doesn't speak Thai can wear a set of headphones and a missionary in the back translates on a microphone. The other visitors were students from Utah traveling through (small world). It was really great to see how the gospel of Jesus Christ is the same everywhere you go. I really felt like I was back at home. The only difference that stood out was when people would mention how long they have been members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was usually about 3-4 years. I am so impressed with their faith and knowledge. I look forward to getting to know all of them better. This Wednesday they asked us to teach the youth an American dance for an activity. I think we'll hold back on the hip hop and teach some fox trot or swing haha.
Later, one of the families at Church, the Dangs, took us to some hot springs. It took quite awhile to get there and I thought it was going to be in this remote place, but it ended up being more like a park. It was really beautiful there. We swam in the hot spring, while people cooked eggs further up where the water was hotter. It started to rain and it was awesome. The weather here is incredible. It is always nice, even if it is raining.---I also must mention that it also does wonders for the skin and hair. We all marvel at how soft our skin is now. (take that Utah!) jk
Alyse and I were suppose to be going to our host families tomorrow, but as we have been taught in Southeast Asia: plans change. Instead we are staying at the University until May 23rd. Its not a bad change at all. We will start teaching English tomorrow and it will be fun to be with the rest of the group before I get shipped off about an hour out of town. Anyway, things are good, the shopping is incredible. I put more pics up, so check those out :)...oh yes, last night we battled a mouse under Alyse's bed. I hesitated to write that, because I fear for my mother's phobia.

4 comments:

hanna platano said...

oh wow amazing pics. did you take it in your hotel room? actually i didn't have any interest in thailand but now, after listening the story of thailand i really wanna go there

The Eborns said...

Did you feel the earthquake that was in China? The news said that people in Thailand felt it. Anway, i love your pictures...thanks for keeping us up to date on the beauties of Thailand.

Anonymous said...

keep the beautiful pictures and stories coming! we were wondering about the earthquake and also if your'e seeing refuges from Berma?
mom

keegan(brother) said...

Wow a lisard lol! Hay jess i fond out about this website! Ya there was a bad earth quake in china like elizabeth said =(.
I like your pics. those buildings look so cool. Well I bet your going to put your food somewhere else lol! Cos mabey next time it mite be a rat. Think about the girms then you germofobic.lol. I hope you have fun! Becuse it sounds fun Expeshisly the lisard!