Monday, June 2, 2008

Grandpa's Birthday!



My host family took me to Nan provience last weekend to celebrate their Grandfather's 100th birthday. It ended up being a huge celebration. There were so many family members there and some monks came from the local temple to pray. Late at night the family broke out the karaoke machine and after a few drinks they were ready to sing haha. I sang a little too, but they only had a few English songs, all of which I had never heard of. The next day we went to the temple and I made merit in different cerimonies. I had the greatest times with the kids (as usual). One little boy would grap my hand and drag me around the neighborhood. As we passed each house he'd yell something I couldn't understand. I think it had something to do with "look at my new white girlfriend" because all the people would come out of their homes and laugh as he wrapped his arm around my waist. haha.

I also have 2 arranged marriages now from father's looking for their sons. hah...we'll see about that :) something was definately lost in translation
This kids in this pic I met at a volleyball court. they were way cool. its crazy cuz they took so many pictures of me. I forget that my white skin is so loved here! (Did I mention that bleaching your skin here is very popular?...Its about as smart as a tanning bed I suppose)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi. may i just say, i love yer bum! and i'm glad to see that you are wearing my clothes in many of your pictures. this makes me feel as if i were with you on your adventure. also, i must say, your spelling has really gone down the crapper since your arrival in the land of thai. other than that, i love you, you're fantastic, i'm so so so jealous of the fun times you're having, and i miss you like the sun misses the moon. and i'm on a new crusade to get you to move to austin after you graduate. look for the forthcoming "top 10 reasons" in your inbox. also, i'll be calling you shortly, probably late this week or early next week. ok, hugs and kisses. be good, stay in school, and put down that beer!

Billy & Caitlin said...

i didn't notice any spelling errors. but i did like the phrase "its about as smart as a tanning bed i suppose". isn't it cool to be white in asia? yeah!